Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A very belated post about belated birthday cupcakes.

I knew that I'd fall behind in posting once school started up again for Winter Quarter... I didn't, however, know how little cooking at home I would be able to do.  It is a pretty awful thought to think that I've only cooked a handful of times over the past 4 months.  (Yes I just admitted that...)  As a grad student, in the middle of a thesis project, I have let things slide in order to keep enough time and momentum going for schoolwork.  Have no fear though... the one thing that I am looking forward to after graduation is cooking; cooking to be healthy and cooking to maintain a budget.  Although it is 4 months later, I want to post this as the slow restart of my blog.

Birthdays are something that we celebrate every year.  In Nick's case, we celebrate his birthday on the day we celebrate the upcoming year, New Years Eve.  While I was unable to bake him something on his actual birthday, I wanted to make something sweet for him when we got back to Portland after the holidays.

With a request for something with chocolate, I looked into my arsenal of recipes and knew just what to make... Terry's Rocky Road Cake

Living at Delta Gamma at Washington State University, I was grateful (and lucky) to have a chef, make me two meals a day.  I'd like to blame him for some of the weight I gained those years... but I couldn't help but go for seconds (and thirds!) when the chocolate cake night rolled around.  Alas, I think its me and that damn chocolate goodness that I couldn't get away from.  Since I was curious about food and wanted to learn a few tricks, Terry taught me a few things in the kitchen and how to bake his wonderful bread.  He also gave me this family recipe, which creates the most moist chocolate cake I've ever had.  I've converted it into cupcakes for this occasion, but I personally think its best as a sheet cake.  Thanks for all of the fond food memories, Terry, you really made my time at the sorority wonderful!  Here's the recipe and bleuprint.


Willma's Rocky Road Cake / Cupcakes
Recipe courtesy of Terry, head Chef at Delta Gamma, Makes: 2 Dozen Cup Cakes or One Cake

1 Box Chocolate Cake Mix
4 Eggs
1 Cup Mayo (The Real Stuff)
1 Cup Water
2 Cups Chocolate Chips
2 Large Handfuls of Minny Marshmallows
1 Cup Nuts (Optional, I don't remember the cake at Delta Gamma having it.)


Pre-heat to 350F.


Mix cake mix, stir in goodies, bake until done.  Eat, Enjoy!
Photo: Amy Perenchio

No comments:

Post a Comment